Monday, July 6, 2009

Blogging Editors

For me, half the fun of any new undertaking is finding the right tools.  Blogging is no exception.

I've spent more time today than I care to admit researching tools for blogging - WYSIWYG HTML editors and blogging editors.  For my internal work blog, I use Microsoft's Windows Live Writer, and I like it a lot.  But for this blog, I wanted to see what other options exist; I'm especially interested in cross-platform tools because I use Linux at home half the time, so I want something that will work on both Windows and Linux.

I installed the ScribeFire Firefox plugin, and it works good; I'll keep it around as a nice cross-platform option.  Flock is a stand-alone cross-platform tool that looks interesting; it has options to interact with other social web sites like Flickr.  But Flock might be overkill for what I need.

Google Docs is an option, too, for Blogger accounts, at least.  I use Docs for some non-sensitive work material, and it works fine for basic word processing and spreadsheet tasks.

I'm writing this entry on Zoho Writer, an online word processor.  It's along the same lines as Google Doc's word processor.  I haven't used it enough to determine how they compare in features.

If I can't find a perfect cross-platform tool, I might just use the best tools that each platform offers.  I'm not sure what the best Linux-only blog tool would be.  Last time I checked, Linux's blog tools seemed immature, but that might have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment