Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Twittering

I made my first "tweet" tonight. I have been very slow to jump on the Twitter bandwagon; it just doesn't have that much appeal for me. But there are more and more people who are announcing things on Twitter instead of their blogs. So I have to pay attention to Twitter no matter if I want to or not.

Twitter simply seems like a public IM (instant messaging) system. Scott Hanselman has a good post about how to use Twitter, saying "If you make Twitter into another list of crap to read, you will be sad. The sooner you realize that Twitter is just a list of crap, the happier you'll be." He also says "[t]o really get something out of Twitter you need to follow at LEAST a hundred people of various backgrounds." Ok, we'll see if I manage to follow that many people. I already have more things to read than I have time for. And I need to reduce the number of things beeping, blinking, and flashing to get my attention; I need to focus more and get distracted less. Time will tell if I find Twitter to be worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment